The Network and Sharing Center in Windows 8 is kind of useless in many ways. There is for example no way to change the name, so you might be stuck with a dumb “Network 3” identity. There’s also no way to change between the Public and Private types if you want to change what you selected when you initially connected to the network.
So, on your own responsibility, here’s where to find those profiles in the Registry Editor.
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SOFTWARE\ Microsoft\Windows NT \CurrentVersion \NetworkList \Profiles
Of particular note is the ProfileName and the Category. The last one can have the following values:
I like my num lock to be on by default when I enter Windows. On my work laptop it for some reason never was. Here’s how to fix it.
- Open RegEdit (Start, run, type regedit, hit enter)
- Select the top node, Computer
- Search for InitialKeyboardIndicators (Edit, Find or (Ctrl+F))
- If what you find has a numeric value, change it to one of the values below:
- 0 – Turn all indicators Off (NumLock, CapsLock, ScrollLock)
- 1 – Turn CapsLock On
- 2 – Turn NumLock On
- 3 – Turn CapsLock and NumLock On
- 4 – Turn ScrollLock On
- 5 – Turn CapsLock and ScrollLock On
- 6 – Turn NumLock and ScrollLock On
- 7 – Turn all indicators On (NumLock, CapsLock, ScrollLock)
- Keep searching (F3) until you’ve found all the numeric ones and changed them to the same value
Below are the different values you can set. I set mine to 2. Most of them already were, but some were some large number of several digits. Looked to be close to max int or something, so maybe a bug… either way, after rebooting my num lock key was now on 🙂
Source: Microsoft Answers
Do you love the taskbar thumbnails in Windows 7, but think they show up a bit too slow? I did, so I did some research and found a way to change the delay.
Continue reading Make taskbar thumbnails show up quicker in Windows 7
Just a small registry script that makes status messages during startup and shutdown procedures in Windows 7 (and possibly Vista?) more interesting.
Continue reading Verbose status messages during Windows startup and shutdown