I wrote this small PHP script to work as a proxy and as far as I can see it works pretty great. Short and easy to follow as well, so that’s always fun 🙂
So basically the script just pipes through whatever headers it gets to the target URL and pipes back whatever headers it gets in the response. Seems to work, but let me know of weaknesses and easy improvements if you see any 🙂
The Cookie and Host headers sent from the browser are removed so they don’t mess up the request.
CURL wasn’t acting properly where I deployed this. It didn’t follow redirects, and curl_exec output content to the browser even with return transfer set to true. So it has a manual workaround for following the redirects and uses output buffering to make sure nothing goes to the browser before we want to.
Solaris is a major pain and unfortunately several servers I have to deal with runs on it. Why is it a pain? Because for some reason it seems all Solaris machines are set up differently. Different sets of installed binaries, different places things are configured, and so on. Probably all caused by lazy sysadmins and/or developers.
Anyways, today I found out that curl wasn’t installed in a server where i needed to test a SOAP request. After some hours of digging I finally managed to get a working curl installed, and figured I should document the procedure here in case I need it again, which I probably will…
Needed to check some XML output from a CalDAV service so I used curl, which is nice and simple. Only problem was that all the XML came back on a single long unreadable line. Turned out it wasn’t too difficult to get it formatted:
The key part here is of course the piping into xmllint. --format tells it to format the XML and the - tells it to read the XML from standard in. The dash can be swapped with the path to an XML file, if you need to format already downloaded XML.
Needed to check the HEAD of a URL on two Unix servers today. Goal was to check if routing, firewall and load balancer rules were all good. One server only had curl, and the other only had wget, so here are commands for both:
$ wget-S--spider http://geekality.net
$ curl -i-X HEAD http://geekality.net
I was curious to how I could make something similar to what Facebook does when you add a link. Somehow it loads images found on the page your link leads to, and then it presents them to you so you can select one you want to use as a thumbnail.
Well, step one to solve this is of course to find all the images on a page, and that is what I will present in this post. It will be sort of like a backend service we can use later from an AJAX call. You post it a URL, and you get all the image URLs it found back. Let’s put the petal to medal!